Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Christmas Bell for Anya


I fell off the blogging wagon for a couple of days. With Christmas parties, final papers, portfolios, studying and a date night, I've been a little out of it. Today, I'm blogging as therapy.

This book is more appropriate today than any other. Although it is a picture book, it is not for young children in my opinion. It has a very sophisticated message and it is very sad.

It is the story of a young Russian girl named Anya. She is one of the chosen twelve young girls chosen to ring in Christmas morn with her very own bell, one lovingly crafted just for her by her widowed father.

Then tragedy strikes. This book truly underscores why we celebrate the birth of our Savior. It's because of his Atonement and resurrection, not just his birth.

So why is this an appropriate book today? Because a young father in our ward, who has been very ill, passed away yesterday afternoon. He leaves behind his wife and two young children - his daughter is in William's primary class.

My heart has been hurting for this little family all day. And it took reading this book to ease that ache. I'm grateful for the Christmas season, because we do celebrate the birth of our Savior. Because he did die for us, and he was resurrected. And because I know that little family was sealed together in the holy temple, they will be together again. And His Atonement can also heal our heartaches and sorrows. So tonight I'll be hugging my husband and children a little tighter. And I'll be praying for this sister and her little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment