Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Minimizing Chinese Footprint

There are those who are trying to minimize their carbon footprint. I'm all for it and am doing what I can. So glad to be in Seattle where recycling is easy! But now our family is trying to minimize our Chinese footprint. That's right. We're trying to avoid all things "made in China" - and it's tough.
The Calico Critters I just blogged about? Made in China. The cute dollhouses at Pottery Barn that I thought would be a good substitute. Yep. Made in China. Nearly ALL toys. Even books. We went shopping for some household supplies. We found one dish drain that was not made in China. I still haven't found a laundry sorter. Couldn't find a hair dryer made anywhere else. We might be stuck with Legos this year. I know there are some homegrown things, so I'll have to do some looking.

6 comments:

  1. I should totally do this. And yeah.. I am totally thinking of pulling my kids. But I don't want to homeschool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask why? Are you also not buying things made in indonesia, pakistan, thailand, vietnam cambodia and ecuador? or is it just china for some reason? you better start making clothes? because most come from somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats of the effort to go "all-american" if mor eof us do it, maybe we'll be able to find more american made stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read the book "A Year without 'Made in China'"? It was really interesting, but apparently very very difficult to find things not made in China, especially in regards to things like kids shoes, toys, pool toys, etc. If you haven't read it, you should...good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Dad will be so proud. Another nail in Walmart's coffin!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennie, you really are making me think. As life goes I just went shopping today. Got a few things: 2 ties & 2 shirts for Jason, Sunday shoes for Carter, 1 skirt, 4 shirts, and 1 pair of shoes for me. So after reading your post I checked all of the labels, result? MADE IN CHINA! All but 2 of the shirts I got for me. I have never paid attention to this before. Now I am really thinking, not sure yet what I am thinking, but I am totally thinking.

    ReplyDelete