Saturday, September 20, 2008

Harder than I thought

You know how hard this "made in China" thing is? It's tough! We're getting birthday/Christmas shopping done for the kids. I'd previously posted about those Calico Critters - I still love them but I found out that they're made in China. Out the window. Aaron has Laurel hooked on Playmobil, and thankfully they have a house with all the fun stuff to go along with it. So we're still good, and it's made in Germany. I can totally get on board with that! And I know Opa will support it too!
It's funny, you really don't notice where something is made until you want to avoid it. Now, I look before I decide I really like something or not to avoid being disappointed.
On the flip side, there are great things being made here in the US and in Europe. And they tend to last longer. These Legos and Playmobil toys are pretty indestructible.

2 comments:

  1. We grew up with Playmobil too and loved them. We got some sets for our kids last Christmas--it's amazing how the pieces have changed over the years from very basic to little figures with details. And, it's nice that you can find some of the sets at Target and ToysRUs--it used to be that you could only find them in specialty toy stores. It sounds like a fun "treasure hunt" for you to find non-Chinese-made stuff! Let us know what else you find! (p.s. the Calico Critters were pretty cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been catching up on your blog, sorry I have been such a loser blog friend lately. I saw a toy company featured on Martha a little while ago...I'll have to get back to you on what it was, but I am pretty sure everything was made in the USA. You are a good woman,

    ReplyDelete