Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Can't Believe I'm Saying This...

but I miss Shakespeare. Oh sure, I know, I didn't appreciate him at the time. But I'm reconsidering. I loathe what we're reading now, Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Give me Hamlet and his soliloquys in iambic pentameter any day. Bring on Macbeth.

Life is busy busy busy around here. Classes started a week ago for me. These are big deal classes because they are the "gateway" into the English major - I'm not official yet until I pass these classes and then apply. So, no pressure. Two are linked - one is the lecture portion, the other is the writing portion. The last is poetry writing.

Yes, you read that correctly. Poetry writing. And I kinda like it. No, I will not turn poet. Not my schtick. But I appreciate what it's teaching me about language and its uses, so that's always good. If it makes me a better writer, than I'll take poetry classes until they tell me to stop!

Oh, and I'm taking an online food writing class that is so much fun. It's not through UW, so it ends in lat November (started earlier in September). Really enjoying it and sharpening some specific skills.

In the meantime, at home, I'm just so grateful for my family. Aaron is still looking for a job and submitting applications to law schools again. We are hoping and praying that he gets in this time. The job search is not going well, but who's surprised? Although, our theory is that unemployment wouldn't be so high if we got rid of HR offices. Somehow, my husband is not qualified to be an administrative assistant. They want someone with a PhD. Right. Seriously? And if you're resume says you can type 55 wpm, you are not qualified to do a job that requires you to type 50 wpm. Sheesh!

It helps that we have the best kids ever. Laurel is thriving in our homeschool environment. William as well. They are sweet and kind and, no, not perfect, but normal kids who try our patience when they can. But we love them and are so grateful for them. We've got lots of adventures coming up - this Saturday is the last free one until mid-November! Pumpkin patch, train ride, Halloween, Auburn parade, model train show. Phew. I'm tired just thinking about it. Throw in a Primary Program and three birthdays and I just might go hide under the covers!

A little Calvin and Hobbes for a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment