Thursday, December 04, 2008

Declaring War on Bratz Dolls

I've officially declared war on Bratz dolls - and the trampy versions that are in the Barbie line. I detest them. They are ugly, mean-looking dolls with very little clothing. I know, I played with Barbies as a little girl, but these dolls are miles away from what I played with. I was at the store the other day and little girls Laurel's age were begging/pleading/crying/demanding a Bratz doll. Ick.

This is Laurel's doll she is getting for Christmas. Nice. Normal. Cute and cuddly.
She is also getting this book, which I just love. Fanny wants a "fashion doll" like her friends' but her mom doesn't like them/won't buy her one (remarkably, they look a lot like Bratz dolls). So Fanny makes her own doll that is really sweet and smart and funny - just like her. I think Laurel and I will make a couple of dolls after we read this story. I got some cute patterns off etsy that will make for cute baby sisters to her Christmas doll.

Boys are so much easier to raise. It's not hard to explain to a boy that Spiderman, Superman and Batman aren't real. That super powers are just pretend.

3 comments:

  1. I love that doll! I'm right there with you on the Bratz thing. Em has never had one and I hope never will. I agree with all that you said about them too. Besides...why do I want to encourage "bratty behavior"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I don't have any girls but I agree 100% about the bratz dolls. I think they are appropriately named. Your doll selection is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was something on MSNBC yesterday about the BRATZ dolls being no more because so many parents have complained. I don't like them at all. What happened to the good old days of paper dolls and Cabbage Patch kids (mine was homemade too!)

    ReplyDelete