I've neglected my goodreads account lately. Mostly because I haven't been reading much.
Two years ago, I reviewed a book I had read. The title is unimportant. I was exploring the possibility of writing similar fiction and was checking out what was getting published. I found this particular book to be ridiculous and annoying, and said as much in my review. The author tried to plug her boring little character into a formula and produce a novel of sorts.
What were my complaints?
Every time the protagonist changed clothes, we had to know she got it on sale and such and such store. Every time.
The reason the book appealed to me was a foodie tie in, but little research was done here. I won't go in to details, but when you actually know about food and how restaurants really work, it's pretty easy to spot someone who doesn't. It's cliche, but it's true: write what you know. Or do research.
I hate books that have length descriptions of setting unless it is important to the story. In this books, the protagonist goes into the bathroom. I then get a paragraph on the bathroom. I don't care about the bathroom! It has nothing to do with the story. It's just a bathroom. Now, if she were trying to escape out the bathroom, or it was a guys apartment but the bathroom was done up in pink shag, that might be interesting. But your basic bathroom I know. I don't need a new description.
There. I'm done.
I think I missed my calling. I should have been an editor.
The real question is, why am I not writing my own books? I've got some pretty awesome ideas for at least three.
Why AREN'T you writing books yet?? I hope I get to preview them when you do start writing! I'm sure they will be good. I know what you mean about overly descriptive books.
ReplyDelete