Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Storylines

Can I use my blog for polls? Because I want to.

I've got a few story ideas in my head. Tell me if you think they are lame, superlame or just might work. Meaning, if the cover is appealing enough, you just might pick it up and read it.

Also, for LDS friends, do you shop at LDS bookstores and read LDS fiction? I admittedly do not because the only LDS bookstore in Seattle, that I know of, is Deseret Book and it's in Bellevue. But I did just buy a truckload of books online from Deseret Book. I'm just thinking that this will be my target market.

K. Enough dawdling. Here are a couple of ideas I have:

  • A retelling of Cyrano, but this time it's about a girl. A young girl who heads back to college after a couple years off. She lives in a house with another girl (who was just dumped at the altar). Housemate starts dating nice guy who is kinda clueless. Our girl is a baker (of course!) and so housemate starts having her bake for her boyfriend. You get the idea, right? Fun, or lame?
  • A cupcake bakery owner - love story - falls for the fiance of one of her clients - famous health guru comes to town and basically likens her to Satan - overcoming lots of obstacles, finding out what she loves, etc. Too cliche? Fun, or lame?
  • A 1950s setting - some women in the 'burbs start a "cake club" - get together in the afternoons to chat, etc. Could deal with a lot of things that moms dealt with, but still be lighthearted at times. With recipes, of course!
Okay. Those are the top three contenders for me right now. Just not sure which way to go or if anyone would read them. If you'd read it, tell me, please!

5 comments:

  1. Any of them sound like they could work, just make sure they're not too predictable-give it some sassiness(don't tell Laurel I said that!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know my reading rut, but I like the 50's club idea. That could be charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And another comment. I never read LDS fiction. But, I think it's a wide open market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live near lots of LDS bookstores, but try to avoid LDS fiction because in my experience it is formulaic,predictable, overly sentimental and usually boring because of those things. I would say write what you love and are passionate about. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tops for me is the Cyrano story, then the 50s cake club. The cupcake lady storyline needs another angle, or something...

    ReplyDelete