Going to school, for me, is an interesting experience. Part of me wishes I had done it sooner, when I was younger, so I could take advantage of opportunities like study abroad, concerts, etc.
Today, in Italian class, we were supposed to first write and then share what we did last summer.
Oh boy.
I sat and stared out the window for a LONG time. Because what did I really do?
I went camping on the Washington coast.
Someone else vacationed in Spain.
I ate lots and lots of popsicles.
Someone else ate ice cream in Paris.
I read a lot of picture books before bed.
Someone else read a lot of novels on the beach.
I had a baby.
.......
Yep. I thought so.
I realized that though my life might not be full of fireworks and overseas adventures, it is meaningful and rewarding. Holding little Henry in my arms, making ice cream with my kids, running through sprinklers - that's life and I lived it.
But I'd still like to eat gelato in Italy. And sit by a fire in winter with a stack of books and a cup of cocoa beside me. But I don't want to be alone for that either.
seems to me jennie that you know what is important and that its important to love life while you are living it. I'm proud of you for knowing that now and owning it.
ReplyDeleteDitto what Annette said. You know what's important-embrace it! To everything there is a season-it's your season to be a mother of young children. It doesn't last long-really enjoy it. Sticky fingers, and chocolate kisses-I love it!!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a great writer. I wish I was even a dab near the unique way you express yourself.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking just yesterday about my friends who are still traveling Asia, childless, newlywed, with money to spare. And I felt sorry for them. :) Glad to have a friend who I can share with... you ate some of those popsicles and ran some of those sprinklers with us!
ReplyDelete