Monday, April 13, 2009

Garden Dirt and Easter

What a great Easter weekend we had. The kids and I drove over to Kennewick Friday afternoon - Aaron had to stay back to study, poor guy. Opa was busy putting in his new "vegetable" beds and he got lots of help from all three. Here are the highlights:




Sunday morning found Laurel and her Opa checking the progress of the plants, in their jammies - she convinced him to buy a "Sugar Baby" watermelon plant to put in. We'll be watching the progress closely.


Will unearthed a toy rolling pin and was busy rolling the dirt.



James was in charge of QC on the thankfully organic dirt Opa was putting in. This is a little dirt boy, let me tell you.

Just look at his face - he knows this is the good stuff!

Opa was wondering why the beds were at different levels. Here's his answer!


Easter was lots of fun - I forgot to take pictures of the egg coloring - it was too much work! The Easter bunny felt compelled to go out at 5 a.m. and make sure the eggs were hidden (what a good Opa!). Laurel filled her basket (and then some - she kept dropping them!). James didn't quite get it. Oh, and this is the fire circle and pretend fire that they built when Gran and Opa put up the teepee. Laurel is definitely Aaron's child - "we've gotta have a fire, Mommy." Yep. Definitely Aaron's.



Next year, I'm copying Becca. Less sugar, more regular, healthy treats. Even pennies and such. We could make Easter piggy banks! That would be fun! Now I'm thinking and typing at the same time, but what if we did that and then let them go buy something. Or donate the money (better idea) and buy one treat. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that idea. It has merit.
We had a wonderful time, got to see family and play in the sunshine (it was cold and wet in Seattle!). We'll be back for Mother's Day to check on that watermelon plant!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun weekend! What a great opportunity for the kids to work with Opa---I love it when we have experiences where "work" is "fun". Look how big James is getting! So cute!

    ReplyDelete