Friday, April 23, 2010

New Writing Direction

I have a new little literary crush. I read this book the other day and I'm getting a better idea of what I want to write.


It's funny and sweet and romantic and a little bit spiritual, but not preachy. It was adorable. Teen fiction. I've been a reader longer than an aspiring writer, and I've noticed that I don't much like the slutty chic lit. Chick lit is fine, but the hop-in-to-bed-on-the-first-date stuff is not my cup o' tea. I like romance, but keep it clean. I mean, it's what I know, so why would I try to write something I 1) don't know and 2) don't approve of. I wouldn't want my daughter to read it and I won't write it.

I've been thinking a lot about what I do want to write, who I want to write to. After this last General Conference, I've really felt impressed to write for the young adult/teen crowd. Like my new hero, Janette Rallison (who is LDS but doesn't write LDS-specific fiction) and my old hero, Shannon Hale (well, technically, I think I'm older). I love their stories for different reasons, but the one thing they both have is wholesomeness. Not the "vegetables" are wholesome. More "carrot cake" fiction. How's that for fitting in a food analogy.

So my "Lila Mae" story is now a YA novel in the making. But it's going to the back burner for a smidge while I work on a Pike Place Market story. Since we're leaving Seattle sooner rather than later, I should get that one done soon!

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment